• eg aminosalicylate sodium, capreomycin, cycloserine, rifampin
• indicated for TB infections
• Mycobacteria tend to be resistance to antibacterial therapy.
• Drug combinations usually used.
Isoniazid (isonicotonic acid hydrazide):
• main agent used for treatment and prophylaxis of tuberculosis (very selective for mycobacteria)
• inhibits synthesis of mycololic acid which is a component of the cell wall responsible for acid fast staining property in mycobacteria
• given orally, widely distributed
• adverse effects – peripheral neuropathy is the most common side affect; liver toxicity
• resistance is not common, but is increasing