• promote release of norepinephrine, dopamine and serotonin from neurons in CNS and periphery (most of effects are from release of norepinephrine)
• increase alertness, reduce fatigue, elevate mood – also get euphoria, an increase in motor activity and ‘talkativeness’; reduction in performance of tasks from fatigue improves
• in heart – increases AV conduction, heart rate and force of contraction; in vessels vasoconstriction (due to release of norepinephrine from sympathetic neurons)
• long term use dependence
• adverse effects – overstimulation of CNS (insomnia, restlessness); weight loss (suppresses appetite); dysrhythmias; psychoses
• indications – attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder; narcolepsy (promote arousal); obesity (appetite suppression)
|We have not yet got to this page to finish it yet. We will eventually. Please contact us if you have something to contribute to it or sign up for our newsletter or like us on Facebook and Instagram or follow us on Twitter.
Page last updated: