Seeks to describe how individuals perceive their own experience by understanding the individual in their social context. Uses subjects own words. Qualitative data consists of descriptions recorded by the investigator.
Perspectives in qualitative research:
1) Phenomenology – attempts to draw meaning from complex realities by analysis of narrative materials
2) Ethnography – study of social context of specific cultural group
3) Grounded theory – uses data to develop theory that explains what was observed
Methods of data collection:
• Interview (in-depth individual or group)
• observation – participant as observer