Sudden movement or thrust of small amplitude performed at high speed
Risky if performed inappropriately
Takes time to develop proficiency.
– Do ‘joint play’ assessment first assess the qualitative ‘feel’ of the elastic barrier at the end range of motion of the joint – move joint through a plane of movement that is not under voluntary control and compare to the contralateral side or with what could be considered ‘normal’ .
“The Subluxation”/Chiropractic Adjustment:
This concept is at core of the chiropractic profession – use of term is subject to some controversy due to its definition:
1) an incomplete dislocation (‘orthopaedic subluxation’)
2) the alteration of the normal dynamics, anatomical or physiological relationships of contiguous articular structures
3) a motion segment in which alignment, movement and integrity, and/or physiologic function are altered though contact between the joint surfaces remain intact
Core concept is that the subluxation is presumed to alter the normal neurophysiologic balance
• Used for ‘fixations’ – see Passive Motion Palpation in chapter x.
Applies an “impact” to bones for the adjustment
|We have not yet got to this page to finish it yet. We will eventually. Please contact us if you have something to contribute to it or sign up for our newsletter or like us on Facebook and Instagram or follow us on Twitter.
Page last updated: