First Metatarsal fractures
Result of direct or indirect forces.
Pain, swelling, ecchymosis, deformity, unable to bear weight, pain on motion, crepitus
X-ray – anterior posterior, lateral and medial obliques.
Fractures of base of metatarsal:
• usually in metaphyseal bone
• most heel in 6 weeks
• Treatment – cast immobilisation
Fracture of shaft of metatarsal:
• if displaced k-wire fixation
• long term, shortened metatarsal transfer of weightbearing symptoms
Fracture of neck of metatarsal:
• isolated undisplaced fracture – only needs symptomatic management with post-op shoe.