International Association for the Study of Pain definition – “An unpleasant sensory and emotional experience associated with actual or potential tissue damage, or described in terms of such damage” .
Complex experience to motivate to protect.
• a complex and challenging phenomenon and far from being fully understood
• an unpleasant sensory and emotional experience associated with actual or potential tissue damage
• the experience we have when tissue is damaged
• a subjective phenomenon – pain tolerances vary between individuals and within an individual (depends on mood, temperature, distractions etc).
• a psycho-physical-emotional experience
• not pathologic – it occurs in the setting of tissue damage and is considered an appropriate and adaptive mechanism for survival of the organism. However pain can become pathologic in some individuals.
• the most common reason for seeking medical attention