Most abundant element in body. Important element in ATP energy systems, intracellular signalling (cAMP) and the synthesis of nucleic acids. 80-85% is in bone. Normally renal excretion = gastrointestinal absorption
• decrease in plasma phosphate concentration – due intracellular shift (when carbohydrate metabolism is increased – eg IV glucose, insulin; also occurs in respiratory and metabolic alkalosis), increased excretion (eg hyperparathyroidism) or decreased absorption (eg starvation).
• weakness is most common symptom
• management – oral replacement
• increase in plasma phosphate concentration – occurs when load from absorption, exogenous administration and cellular release exceeds renal excretion and uptake by tissues – most often in association with acute or chronic renal disease.
• most commonly complain of muscle cramping may progress to tetany
• can have neuromuscular hyperexcitability and parathesia (especially distal extremities)
|We have not yet got to this page. We will eventually. Please contact us if you have something to contribute to it or sign up for our newsletter or like us on Facebook and Instagram or follow us on Twitter.
Page last updated: