Commonly thought to be region specific (axilla, mammary line, eyelid, ear) – but it is found wherever hair is present found everywhere except for acral skin of hand and foot.
Develop between 15-20 weeks of gestation
• secretory portion cells rest partly on myoepithelial cells
• little known – physiological role has not yet been demonstrated.
• high in protein, low in lipids
• stimulated by local or systemic adrenergic agents
• not continuous (eccrine secretion is)
Regulate temperature function is vital to normal activities. More abundant on palms, soles and forehead
• Several parts – secretory segment, coiled duct, straight duct, intraepidermal coil, eccrine pore
• formed in two steps – isotonic fluid released by secretory coil and then resorption of sodium chloride in duct
• release mediated by acetylcholine